Thursday, February 4, 2010

Russian Style Mac and Cheese


For starters this dish smells sooooo good while cooking. The caraway seed made me think of rye bread, and the dill well I am so in love with anything that has dill in it. Yum!

I didn't go out looking for Mac and Cheese recipes, I'm not really a big sucker for it. There has only been one time that I had it homemade (as in not Kraft) and I can't say I fell for it, nor have I ever craved it. However, when I came upon this recipe on Branny Boils Over everything I ever felt about Mac and Cheese changed. Lordy, lordy. This one is staying in the monthly rotation.

Russian-Style Mac and Cheese


2 cups whole wheat rotini (4 oz)
2 tablespoons butter
1 cup onions, chopped
3/4 tsp salt
3/4 tsp caraway seeds
2 tsp dried dill
1 clove garlic, minced
3 cups chopped fresh cabbage
1 bunch fresh spinach, stems removed and coarsley chopped
1 cup cottage cheese, small curd
1/4 cup sour cream
1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded and divided

Preheat oven to 350* and lightly grease a oval baking dish. Cook pasta in boiling water until just tender. Meanwhile, melt butter in a skillet and add onions. Saute 5 minutes and add garlic, cabbage, salt, and caraway. Cook until cabbage is tender, about 7 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in chopped spinach.

Stir in cottage cheese, sour cream, dill, noodles and 1/2 cup cheddar cheese. Spread into baking pan. Top with remaining cheese and bake, uncovered, 20-30 minutes. Let rest 5-10 minutes before digging in.


Baby Cakes didn't add a pinch of anything. He kidded and said it didn't have any taste but after a few bites said he was kidding and that it was good. So maybe, according to him, not the best dish ever but to me the flavors were wonderful. If you like rye, cabbage and cheese or all three then you have to try this recipe.

XOXO,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...