Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Chorizo Dip

This is the best dip I have ever had in my entire life hands down. I can’t even begin to tell you. Baby Cakes loved it just as much as I did and in fact told me that it the best thing he has ever eaten. Simply put, it is amazing. This dip will adorn every pot luck table from now on, every.single.one. It is so good that I am almost speechless (a feat if you know me).

Baby Cakes and I often eat chorizo, mainly for breakfast and always on Saturday mornings in whatever form we happen to find it. The neighborhood gas station sells authentic chorizo and egg tacos or this little Mexican restaurant in Tomball, were Baby Cakes and I frequent, have so many chorizo choices, Queso Flameado con Chorizo or Picadillo de Chorizo con Huevos y Patatas (Minced Chorizo w/ Eggs and Potatoes) just to name a few. I could go on and on about how amazing chorizo is but I won’t. However, I think you can tell that we eat a lot of it so when I found this recipe recently oh, it was so on.

The one thing I’ve found since making and eating chorizo regularly is that you have to find a good quality; the chorizo that most stores sell will cook down to nothing, just orange-red liquid of melted fat. No, you need a good homemade chorizo. I recommend finding a local Mexican Grocer (in Southern Texas I can find one anywhere) and purchasing it from them. You won’t be sorry, either for buying the good chorizo or for making this dip. Seriously, amazing!


Chorizo Dip
recipe from Evil Shenanigans

1/3 cup Mexican chorizo
1/2 cup onion
1/4 cup diced red bell pepper
2 tablespoons minced jalapeno
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon cumin
8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1/4 cup panko bread crumbs
1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
3 teaspoons butter, melted

Heat the oven to 350 F and spray a small baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.

In a small pot over medium heat add the chorizo. Cook until all the fat is rendered and the meat is browned, about 8 minutes.

Drain the meat on paper towels and return to the pot along with the onion and red pepper. Cook until the onions and peppers are softened, about three minutes. Add the jalapeno, garlic and cumin and cook until fragrant, about one minute. Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly.

In a medium bowl, mix together the cream cheese and mayonnaise until smooth. Fold in the cheddar cheese, then add the chorizo mixture and mix thoroughly.

Pour the mixture into the prepared dish. In a small bowl toss the panko, paprika and butter until evenly coated. Spread evenly on the dip. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until bubbling and golden brown on top. Cool for 10 minutes before serving.


We ate ours directly out of the dish with crackers.

I kept trying to get a shot of actual dip, what's underneath the topping but this is all I kept getting over and over, apparently my camera isn't as big a fan as Baby Cakes and I...


This recipe will be shared with every single person I know and soon starting with everyone who frequents Delightful Country Cooking and joins in on her weekly link party This Weeks Cravings.

Swoon.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much (from one of the other hosts) of THIS WEEK'S CRAVINGS, we appreciate the link back!

    Your recipe looks great and we hope you come back next week for Valentines Cookies and Treats!

    http://momscrazycooking.blogspot.com/2011/01/this-weeks-cravings-linky-party-14-and.html

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...