Thursday, May 13, 2010

Cajun Black-Eyed Peas and Sausage

I am a major fan of black eyed peas, really any hearty bean. Not such a fan of mushy beans, i.e. refried or baked but you put a bowl of kidney, black-eyed or even butter beans down infront of me and it takes all I've got not to eat the whole bowl. So naturally when I see a recipe starring one of my favorite beans I jump on it.

The original recipe came from a Food Network Magazine and I seem to have misplaced the ripped out page as of right now so I searched it via FoodNetwork.com and found it here. It was acutally titled Caribbean Rice and Peas but since I adapted the recipe so much, to my own liking, I renamed it Cajun Black-Eyed Peas and Sausage.

The BCakes loved it and asked that I make it a regular and I liked it quite a bit as well. Would be pretty easy to play around with the ingredients to make it just right and I do beleive I will be doing that in the future.


Cajun Black-Eyed Peas and Sausage

Ingredients

12 ounces frozen black-eyed peas, thawed
3 cups chicken broth
1 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 lb. spicy pan sausage
3 ribs celery, diced
3 shallots, diced
6 cloves garlic, sliced
2 teaspoons cajun seasoning
1 teaspoon dried thyme
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 cup uncooked brown rice, quick cooking
2 bay leaves
4 cups stemmed and chopped collard greens

Directions

Combine the black-eyed peas and 3 cups of chicken broth in a small pot. Cover and bring to a boil.

Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large, deep skillet over medium heat. Add the sausage and cook until done. Add the shallots, celery, garlic, cajun seasoning and a generous pinch of salt. Cook until the vegetables brown, about 5 minutes. Add the thyme and tomato paste and cook, stirring occasionally, until the tomato paste turns brick red, about 2 more minutes. Add the rice, bay leaves and the black-eyed peas with their liquid to the skillet and bring to a boil; do not stir.

Add the collards; cover, reduce the heat to low and simmer undisturbed until most of the liquid is absorbed, about 50 minutes; set aside for 10 minutes. Remove and discard the bay leaves.



On a side note it was a rainy weekend here in Walnut Springs and apparently a friend wanted in out of the rain. I went to shut the shades on the back door at around 9 pm and when I reached my hand under the curtain to grab the pull I saw something. When I looked again it was a the head of a snake right by my hand. I screamed for Michael and did the ewww dance. Luckily it was on the outside of the door but from where it was it had to have crawled up the wall and worse yet still be half on the wall half on the window. I have no idea what he was after, perhaps the light inside? I don't know. All I do know is I will so be looking close for rat snakes when I go outside on rainy nights. I took pictures but the flash kept reflecting off of the glass resulting it well crappy pictures, this is the only one I could get...


As you can tell from the picture he was running for his life, after all my big bad husband was coming for him. At one point he actually coiled and began to strike at the stick Michael was using to try and get him. (According to my husband it should be killed but I just couldn't. He was outside and outside is HIS home. Now if he's in the house, MY home, then well all is fair in love and war.) No worries snake lovers we let him live but I doubt he'll be back. lol.

Make it, Eat it, Enjoy it,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...