Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Strawberry Brown Rice Pudding

The other day my father in law asked me if I had ever had rice with milk and sugar. I hadn’t, but that question conjured up memories of my Mother making rice pudding when I was a child. I refused to ever try it. It’s funny to me how closed minded I was towards food as a kid. So I decided that I would reintroduce some of the food items that I avoided at all costs back then only I would put my own spin on them. This is my spin on one of those foods.

I love this! I would love this even without strawberries but I must say that they certainly make it a summery dessert. Hint? I think it has to do a lot with the vanilla extract. Use a good one. Just in case you’re wondering what kind I use I thought I would share…


Baby Cakes took a bite out of my bowl and really liked it. He prefers his rice pudding cold so it looks like he'll be enjoying a bowl tomorrow.


Strawberry Brown Rice Pudding

Stewed Strawberries

2 tablespoons butter
½ cup sugar
1 pint sliced strawberries

In a large saucepan combine the ingredients and over low heat cook down until the strawberries cook down and create a thick syrup.

Brown Rice Pudding

3 cups cooked brown rice
3 cups milk
¾ cups sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
pinch salt
1 tablespoon vanilla extract

Stir all of the ingredients, except the vanilla extract together and simmer over medium low heat for 25 minutes.

Stir in the stewed strawberries and vanilla extract. Continue simmering until desired thickness, about 10 more minutes.


Wonderful warm and I’ll let you know what I think of it when it’s cold.

XOXO,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...