Thursday, January 13, 2011

Guacamole

I have another when I first starting dating Baby Cakes recipes to share...

My Mother in Laws recipe box is full of quick meals, having been so involved in and dedicated to her children’s lives and also substituting at the High School she needed fast and filling to feed the family. It was one of those after football/cheerleading/work/PTA/laundry/homework/etcetera etcetera situations. You might know this situation personally; heck I think all women know this situation personally. Anyhow even though her life has calmed a bit since then she still makes some of the dishes that my husband grew up eating and I was lucky enough to get to devour them while we were dating. This is my third favorite thing that she makes. (Yes I have a list; she makes some really wonderful dishes.)

I was surprised to learn that all she uses in her guacamole are avocados, tomatoes, garlic salt and salt. I had always had it with jalapenos, onions, cilantro, and just so many different ingredients and variations but who would have thought that the simplest version would taste the best. She taught me that salt is key in this recipe and I have found myself even adding salt to it at restaurants and being amazed at what a difference it makes. Mmm hmm, once you make it like this then they can keep the all the other ingredients.


Guacamole
slightly adapted from my MIL

3 large avocados pitted and scooped from skins
¼ purple onion, small diced
1 Roma tomato, small diced
1 teaspoon of garlic powder
salt to taste

In a mixing bowl mash the scooped avocados and then add the diced onion, tomato and garlic powder stirring to combine. Add a teaspoon of salt at a time, each time stirring and tasting until you can taste the difference. Not salt lick salty but obviously salted.

Serve with tortilla chips.

These and other dips are my second favorite form of dinner, second only to the crock pot, that I could ever make. It is such a delight knowing that after I come in from work all I have to do is a bit of chopping and mixing before we can eat. Of course this doesn't have to be a dinner recipe, it would be great for any situation where a dip is needed.

Yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...