Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Summer Squash Casserole

One of my very best girlfriends is gardening this year. She seems to be pretty good at it as well. (Side Note: Why is it that some people have green thumbs and some people do not? My husband can grow anything. No grass in the front yard when we bought the house? Yeah there's grass now. My hydrangea dies, he brings it back to life. He has planted blackberries bushes along the fence, a peach, orange and lemon tree in the backyard and transplanted bushes from the front yard to the back. It's amazing and I love him for it but I am soooo jealous.)

At the poker party this weekend she gave us a giant bag of yellow squash that has, since being placed on my kitchen counter that night, been calling my name to cook it. Th only problem? I don't know how to cook squash. It's not something I grew up eating. Oh sure, I remember going to my Grandmas as a little girl and she would have cooked fried squash for my Grandpa for supper, but it's not anything my parents ever, EVER cooked. Luckily for me I do not have my parents taste in all things veggie so I happen to love well, really any and all veggies including but not limited to squash. I knew I had to find a recipe, other than fried, to use up and consume this bright happy vegetable. Enter Vintage Victuals or more aptly enter Yellow Summer Squash Casserole from Vintage Victuals.

If you haven't been to Ellie's website you should just stop what your doing and go check her out, finish looking through my blog first of course. She makes a ton of classic southern recipes, very well I might add, but she also makes some recipes that I have never had before. I wish that I lived closer to her, boy do I ever.

This casserole has a hint of sweetness and is acutally quite good. It would be perfect for a potluck or picnic and would go so well with ham. I will be making this again only instead of breadcrumbs for the topping I will be using crackers.



Yellow Summer Squash Casserole
from Vintage Victuals (link above)

3 pounds yellow summer squash
1/2 cup chopped onions
2 eggs
2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2 more tablespoons butter
about 1/2 cup crushed crackers or bread crumbs

Wash and slice up the squash. Boil or steam until tender, drain thoroughly, then mash.

Add the onion, eggs, butter, sugar, salt, and pepper to the squash. Pour mixture into a greased 9×13-inch baking dish. Melt the remaining two tablespoons of butter, and then spread it over the top of the squash. Sprinkle with crackers or bread crumbs.

Bake in 375 degree oven for approximately 1 hour, or until brown on top. Let the casserole cool for about 10 minutes before serving.



Thank you Nessa for the squash it was delish and next time I'll share, XOXO,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...