Friday, March 5, 2010

Salmon Potato Casserole

Oh my goodness, it tastes like tuna noodle casserole on steriods, wait there isn't anything appetizing about steriods much less tuna on steriods. Okay it's like a heartier, richer, creamier tuna noodle casserole. Seriously that's just what it tastes like, tuna noodle casserole. It's worth all the steps though, not to mention the pots and pans, because like I said above it's creamier. Say it with me creamy mmmmmmm.

Apparently I am in-like with this women, The English Kitchen. While scanning through her blog I came across quite a few dishes that I just have to try but this one seriously reached out and grabbed me. Baby Cakes is going to love this one (he loves canned salmon, I don't know why other than he loves Salmon Patties, which I've actually made several times for him and yet have never blogged? Hmm, curious). Seriously, if you have yet to check out her recipes go, what are you waiting for? Go! (Up top, click on The English Kitchen.)

I did adapt it a bit and have decided that the next time I make this I will actually try it with freshly cooked and flaked salmon. So, I'll be adapting my adaptation. I experiment in my kitchen, that's just what I do.


Salmon Potato Casserole
adapted from Salmon Casserole Bake

Filing:
1, 14.75 oz. can of pink salmon, drained (skin and bones removed)
4 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
1 cup of frozen peas
1/2 stick of butter
1 Tablespoon olive oil
salt and pepper, to taste
1/3 cup chives, chopped (last minute add in)

For the sauce:
2 Tablespoons butter
3 Tablespoons plain flour
a dash (or four) of hot pepper sauce
salt and pepper, to taste
8.5 ounces milk (2 1/2 cups)
4 ounces heavy cream (1/2 cup)

Topping:
1 cup bread crumbs
1 Tablespoon butter melted

Directions:

Place the cubed potatoes, onions, olive oil and butter into a saucepan over medium high heat. Season with salt and pepper. Cook until completely fork tender, you want them solid but tender, stirring pretty regularly. Pour into a bowl and add the salmon (skin and bones removed if you'd like) and the frozen peas; mix together and set aside.

Butter a baking dish and set aside. Pre-heat the oven to 375 F.

Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium high to low heat and whisk in the flour; cooking for one minute (you're basically making a roux). Next whisk in the milk and cream and stir until the mixture bubbles and thickens. Season to taste with salt and pepper and a few dashes of hot pepper sauce.

Pour the cream sauce over the potato, salmon and pea mixture; mix gently to combine. Stir in the chives and then spread the mixture into the prepared, buttered, baking dish.

Mix the bread crumbs and butter together. Sprinkle evenly over the top of the casserole.

Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until bubbly and lightly browned on top.


I emplore you, make this dish. Happy casseroleing y'all,

1 comment:

  1. What a great way to get salmon in your diet, and I'll bet it would be equally good with tuna fish. Comfort food. Pretty casserole dish too! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...