Thursday, February 10, 2011

Chicken and Gravy Pasta

This ones a little different.

Sometimes an uh-oh moment in the kitchen can result in something wonderful, albeit different yet still wonderful. Somehow in my mad rush the other night to pull out some chicken to thaw for yesterdays use, needing boneless skinless breasts, I managed to unbeknownst to me pull bone in, skin on chicken thighs. Hmm. I don’t know (shrugs). So at the last moment last night I was thumbing, quickly, I have the paper cuts to prove it, through my cookbooks trying to find something, anything to make; nothing. So I decide to just wing it (or thigh it as the case may be) and let whatever happens happen. This is what happened…



Chicken and Gravy Pasta

6 chicken thighs, with skin and bone
1 box pasta, your choice
1/3 cup flour
½ cup chicken stock
1 cup milk, plus a bit more if needed
salt and pepper, to taste
2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
1 cup frozen corn
2 tablespoon butter, melted
¾ cup panko bread crumbs

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Put a large pot of water on to boil, the amount of water is according to the type of pasta you use; see the package directions.

Put the chicken in a skillet along with a tablespoon of olive oil, skin down, and cook over medium heat, flipping once or twice until cooked through. The end result will end up with golden brown chicken. Once done pull the chicken from the pan and set aside on a plate to cool.

Turn the heat down to low, stir in the flour to the chicken drippings (you’re essentially making a roux) and cooking for a few moments until lightly golden; whisk in the chicken broth and milk, continually whisking until thickened, if the gravy it too thick continuing adding milk in ¼ cup increments until desired thickness; season with salt and pepper to taste.

Add the pasta to the boiling water and cook according to package directions. Drain and pour back into the pot.

Shred and de-bone the chicken.

In the pasta pot add the chicken, corn and gravy, stirring to combine and spread into a prepared 9x13 baking dish.

Melt the butter and toss the bread crumbs in it; evenly spread over the pasta and bake for 20-30 minutes until golden brown.


Baby Cakes was very content with this one, he gave it an 8 out of 10 rating. I liked it, in fact I am looking forward to eating it again tonight for leftovers (mainly because I don’t have to cook again) but I will admit that it needs something. I don’t know what just yet but something. I’ll have to get back to you on that.

Peace, Love and Spinach Dip,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...