Friday, January 14, 2011

French Toast

When I was a child my Daddy was the primary breakfast cook on Saturday mornings and still is on special occasions. However, my Mom would make a special breakfast every once and awhile and this was almost always what she served (and if not then this was what I wanted her to serve). I have to tell you that I am a huge fan of French toast. Both Baby Cakes and I are. Something about the crispy slightly cinnamon-y exterior and the warm soft inside, smothered in melted butter and maple syrup does it for me. It is the perfect breakfast, the perfect lunch or even better yet the perfect supper. This is actually the very first breakfast that I had ever made for Baby Cakes and he has been requesting it, for dinner, ever since. I will always oblige.

Now this isn’t the exact recipe or the directions for how my Mother makes it. She uses whole milk instead of cream and I don’t recall nutmeg being used in her recipe. Nor does she fry it in butter! But despite these small adaptations whenever I make it I still think of her and the wonderful memories of sitting at the kitchen table with my siblings, swinging our legs and eating French toast.


French Toast
adapted from my Moms recipe

3 eggs
1/2 cup heavy cream
pinch of salt
dash of nutmeg
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
6 slices bread
butter

In a shallow dish beat the eggs and cream together; add the salt, nutmeg and cinnamon and mix until combined.

Now coat a piece of bread in the egg mixture, flip the slice over and coat the other side. Set on a cooling rack set over a baking sheet, to catch the drippings. Repeat with all six slices of bread.

Warm a skillet over medium/low heat. Melt a teaspoon of butter in the pan and add a slice of dipped bread into the pan. Brown on both sides, it doesn’t take very long.

As the slices get done butter and set on plates.

Serve warm. Sprinkle with powdered sugar or drizzle (or drown as the case may be in my house) with maple syrup.


Now I don't know that this is the proper way to make real French Toast but I must say that this version is as good if not better than any other version I have had at resturants or even at someone else's kitchen table.

You're gonna love it,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...