Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Stuffed Cabbage Stoup

I was hoping to make a few more soups before “winter” was over in my neck of the woods, but the last few days have been in the 70’s here in Southern Texas, not exactly soup weather. Luckily though, a cold snap came in today with temperatures in the 50’s. I’ll take it and run with it!

Lately, I have been trying to make smarter food choices. Not only am I trying to lose weight but I am also trying to make sure I am meeting the nutrients that I need daily. For some reason I have been super interested in that as of late. Once upon a time I was incredibly fit. I did yoga daily and was a vegetarian (early 20’s) and then slowly I have neglected myself to the point of having gained weight and now just walking a mile burns my calf muscles. (Just trying to keep it real here folks.) Now, I did say that this wouldn’t become a weight loss blog, or did I say that to myself? Either way, it won’t become one, I guess I just want to share that this recipe is healthy and sometimes I am long winded about saying something simple. So the short version: This stoup is one of the better recipes on this blog, as of now.

It reminds me a lot of the Stuffed Cabbage Casserole I have made a dozen or so times in the past and although I will continues to make it in the future I will rotate it, when the weather is right, with this stoup.

Baby Cakes ate a bowl full and really enjoyed it. He didn’t score it but I did. I give it two thumbs up or on our regular scale a 10. I ate two full bowls of it and felt no guilt because ¼ of the pot (or two bowls as the case may be) is only 535 calories! Rock on! Big thanks to Rachel Ray!


Stuffed Cabbage Stoup
recipe slightly adapted from Rachel Ray

2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
32 ounces chicken stock
1 pounds lean ground beef
1/2 teaspoon allspice
2 teaspoons smoked paprika
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 bay leaf
1 large onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 carrot, finely chopped
1/2 head cabbage, thinly sliced
28 ounce can diced tomatoes
8 ounce can tomato sauce
Handful of flat-leaf parsley, chopped
3 tablespoons dill, finely chopped

Heat a deep pot over medium high heat. Add the extra-virgin olive oil, once hot add meat, allspice, paprika, salt and pepper, and begin to brown, 2 to 3 minutes.

Add the bay leaf, onions, garlic and carrots. Cook veggies 2 to 3 minutes to begin to soften them, and then add cabbage and wilt it down a bit, about 10 minutes.
Add the tomatoes, tomato sauce, and the chicken stock; cover the pot.

Raise the heat to high and bring the soup to a simmer. Simmer for about 10 minutes.

Stir in parsley and dill, and serve.


We had ours with rice served on top. Normally I would use brown rice (healthier) but I had leftover rice pilaf from the night before that I used instead. I just added ¼ cup to the top of each bowl.

This stoup really is amazing! I loved it, so much so that I am having it for dinner again tonight. Yum.

Happily shared over at Newlyweds Recipe Linky.

In the words of Rachel Ray, Yum-O,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...