Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Colcannon

Before I ever began blogging I came across this recipe while searching for something featuring cabbage, I still do that by the way, pick an ingredient and run a search for recipes featuring that ingredient. Anyhow, when I saw this I knew I had to make it so I saved it to my computer to be made one day. Well that one day was last night, 2 years after I originally saved it. Good things come to those who wait.

I am absolutely loving this dish and thinking of a million different ways to serve it. My Mom has a recipe that I think would go with it wonderfully, don’t worry I’ll share that recipe “one day”.

Does anyone else love side dishes and side dishes alone for supper? I tend to order vegetable plates as restaurants and last night while BCakes ate ham along with his I just had this. It me there’s something about a side dish, they are comfort to me.

This wasn’t the simplest of recipes. Quite a few pots for one dish but after tasting, and eating a bowlful, I can without a doubt say that it is worth it. Creamy and buttery with a few crisp bites of smoked bacon, the buttery cabbage… Mmm. Even Baby Cakes is a fan, he practically fought me for who gets to take the leftovers to lunch today. (He won by the way; it’s Lean Cuisine for me.) Now for the fight over who’s going to wash all those pots and pans.



Colcannon
recipe from Wives with Knives

3 large russet potatoes, peeled and diced
4 ounces bacon
6 green onions, thinly sliced
1 head cabbage, thinly sliced
1 cup milk, scalded
1/2 cup butter, melted
Salt and pepper to taste

Place cut potatoes in a large pot of salted water and cook till fork tender.

In a large saucepan sauté the bacon until almost crisp and then add the green onions into that pan without draining the bacon fat and sauté another minute. Add the cabbage and cook until tender and a bit caramelized.

In a small pot gently scald the milk and melt the butter.

Drain the potatoes and mash while slowly pouring in the hot milk and butter mixture. Now stir in the cabbage and bacon mixture; salt and pepper to taste.


I know that my picture isn’t as pretty as hers is but I don’t care. You most certainly cannot judge this book by its cover. No sir. Make this one time and you’ll be adding it to your weekly rotation.

This is my first time taking place in:

Sunday Suppers @ Deep South Dish
Totally Tasty Tuesdays over at Mandy's Recipe Box
Mouthwatering Mondays over at A Southern Fairytale
Tasty Tuesday Parade at Balancing Beauty and Bedlam
Tuesdays At The Table over at All the Small Stuff
Recipe Swap Thursday at A Prairie Story
Recipe Swap at Grocery Cart Challenge
Potluck Sundays at Mommy’s Kitchen

Hope to see you there!

Yum,

2 comments:

  1. Oh heavens! This looks great! Thanks for sharing it on Totally Tasty Tuesdays!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for linking to Sunday Suppers too! I love love love this dish!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...