Thursday, September 30, 2010

Autumn Sausage Casserole

I, with open arms, welcome the weather we are having right now here in my part of Texas. It is wonderful crisp fall weather. It makes me itch to get cooking.

So as you might have noticed I am hooked on my slowcooker right now. Infact the last couple of recipes have all been slowcooker recipes. Of this I am not ashamed. It's fast, easy and dagnabbit it tastes good, (Was that too southern? Perhaps a bit backwoods? Okay, then...) dangit it tastes good.

This recipe was found on A Year of Slowcooking's blog. Being new to the crock pottery world I just found her but despite that fact I love her. I move fast what can I say? She has so many crockpot recipes. I am having a hard time deciding which ones to make and when. So many choices. If you are not familiar with her go on over and peruse her pages.

Let me be frank, I did not care for this at all. In fact I didn't even more than a few bites. Sorry. I almost didn't even blog it. I made this monday and have been fighting with myself on if I should even put it on here or not. But, Baby Cakes loved it. He ate two bowls full and leftovers the next day. I thought it had a sour note to it, not like pucker up it's sour but like a somethings a little off sour. Not BCakes he just went on and on about the sweetness. I don't know maybe men and womens tastes ARE completely diffrent. I'm not giving up just yet though, I think I will make it again soon only this time in the oven like the original recipe called for.


Autumn Sausage Casserole
from the A Year of Slowcooking blog

1 pound ground sausage*
2 small apples, chopped
1 yellow onion, chopped
1 cup carrots, chopped
3 cups already cooked rice**
1/2 cup raisins
1 T dried parsley flakes
1 T brown sugar
1/2 tsp allspice
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp black pepper
1/3 cup chicken broth

Pre-cook sausage on stovetop, drain and put into crockpot.

Peel and chop carrots, apples and onion; add to crockpot.

Add the spices, raisins, rice and chicken broth; stir.

Turn crockpot on low and cook for 5-7 hours.

*I used, duh duh duh, spicy venison sausage. What else? lol. But you can freely use any sausage that you want.

**I also chose to buy microwave packets of Uncle Ben's Ready Rice. It took 1 and a half packets to get 3 cups. I didn't have any left over pre-cooked rice so I improvised. Also, we only use brown rice or if we do use white rice it is only wild rice.


Happy Fall Crockpotting Y'all,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...