Thursday, October 13, 2011

Slow Cooked Bar-B-Q Pinto Beans with Sausage

Beans, beans the magical fruit… I’ll leave the rest for you to finish. In our house we love beans. Baby Cakes would eat any kind at any time and me; I’ll eat all but baked beans. I prefer a hearty bean. This dish is a hearty bean dish.

Baby Cakes’ family is all about beans as well. When we were dating we ate many a meal at his parent’s house and they almost always had beans. Yum. We’ll it’s the same for The Cakes and I at our house. It might not be every night but its most nights and tonight is one of those nights.

We loved this dish. It is wonderful. It had tons of flavor and the beans were cooked to perfection. Just enough bite. Not to mention how cheap of a supper it is to make, and easy. I will make these again someday but next I’m going to be making his Mom and Dad’s version, coming someday soon.

Also, a side note or two. I used some of the homemade chicken stock from the crock pot chicken stock recipe I posted a week or so ago. Also, in the original recipe it called for 3 cups of water along with 3 cups of stock. It was a happy accident that I forgot the water because I didn't need it. Infact, the last hour with the lid off is what brought the liquid level down for me, before that I has too much liquid. So I wouldn't recommend putting the water in unless it is needed and even then only a little at a time.


Slow Cooked Bar-B-Q Pinto Beans with Sausage
recipe slightly adapted from Taste and Tell

3 cups chicken broth
1 can tomato paste
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
3 tablespoons molasses
2 tablespoons mustard
1 tablespoon honey
2 tablespoons barbecue seasoning blend
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 pound dry pinto beans, picked over and soaked overnight
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1 small onion, quartered
1 1/2 pounds sausage, cut into coins
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce

In the bottom of your slow cooker, whisk together the chicken broth, tomato paste, brown sugar, molasses, mustard, barbecue seasoning, clove and garlic. Add the beans. Tuck the onions into the beans and cook on high for about 8 hours.

Add the sausage and stir in the vinegar and Worcestershire sauce; let the mixture continue cooking, uncovered, for 1 hour.


Beantastic Y’all,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...