Thursday, July 7, 2011

French Fry Hash Browns

Growing up my Daddy was the official cook in our house. I might have mentioned this once or twice before (grin), what can I say I am a proud daughter. After all, he did pass his love of cooking onto me. Anyhow, every weekend on either Saturday or Sunday my Dad would make his version of what we called “big breakfast”. This consisted of scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, biscuits or toast, hash browns, and sausage gravy. I don’t feel the need to share his recipe for sausage gravy, although I probably will at some point but I will be sharing his hash browns recipe with you today.

You guys, as kids we fought over who got to have seconds of these, not because he didn’t make enough (with 6 kids I don’t know that enough was ever enough) but because they are just so good.

Head up, this is not a diet food (and I am only posting the half recipe). I come by my curvy figure naturally. Grin.


French Fry Hash Browns

1 stick butter
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 onion, large dice
4-6 tablespoons seasoning blend, your choice
½ a bag crinkle cut French fries

In a large skillet over medium heat melt the butter and olive oil together. Add the chopped onions and sauté until translucent. When the onions are soft stir the seasoning blend into them.

Add the frozen French fries and stir to combine, let the fries soak up all the seasoned butter. Let them brown stirring occasionally.

Don’t worry if some of the fries start breaking down, they are supposed to.


Confession time, growing up my sister and I ate ours smothered in syrup. However, as an adult I like them ketchup. It is amazing to me how unrefined my childhood taste buds were, not that ketchup could be classified as refined. I do still eat syrup on corned beef hash though, shrug, some things never change.

I am going to try to start sharing ingredients that I used in my recipes with everyone because sometimes that ingredient can make or break the recipe. Speaking of ingredients this is the seasoning blend that we use at our casa. It's my favorite blend. My Mom and Dad use it, my Mom's Parents used it. Heck, even my best friend uses it. It's the bees knees here at Sweet Tea.


This is an easy recipe to throw together on a weekend along with some eggs and sausage. We happen to have it about once a month for supper.

XOXO,

7 comments:

  1. I was so surprised to see this recipe! I stumbled onto doing this years ago when I ran out of potatoes one day and I absolutely LOVED them!! I thought I was the only one to make these. Your Daddy knew he was onto something good here,bless his heart. LOL. I still love these to this day.People thought I was crazy til they tried them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Donna- Yes ma'am, this is one of those scratch your head recipes but I find that those are the best ones.

    Thank you so much for swinging by and a big hug for commenting!

    Hope you come back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Megan,I wrote earlier but forgot to add this. Have you ever had brown gravy on fries? If not,you're missing a real treat?Forgive me but it's a Yankee thing from New England.They sell it by the ton at diners,etc. Also,turkey gravy. Seriously,it's addictive,please give it a try. It might be good on your home fries too!Bt the way,I'm from Florida and an old fashioned,scratch cook!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know I haven't but I most certainly will now. I always order a side of gravy with my french fries but around here it always seem to be white (which I don't mind in the slightest). I love love love turkey gravy so yes I will be partaking in that. Thank you!

    All I can think when you say New England is clam chowder. Yum! I think I know what I'm having for lunch.

    Are you originally from up north?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes but I've been down here so long my Southern friends have forgiven me for my birth place and "erased" it. Said it wasn't my fault the stork was drunk.I do not consider myself a Yankee at all.LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My Mom is a reformed yankee. lol. The only time anyone would know it is when she is around her Mother. Moved to Texas and fell in love with a Southern Boy (my Daddy).

    What's that saying "you never hear about anyone retiring and moving up north." Amen!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A rare delicacy in my home since I was a kid. I use to think my mom invented it.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...