Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Spicy Sausage and Tortillini Soup‏

Whew, what a day. I have just spent from about 9 am this morning until 6 pm this evening making fudge, fudge and more fudge for Christmas for Baby Cakes' extended family's get-together this Saturday. The only thing I've had to eat all day is Merry Cherry Fudge (recipe coming soon!) and a bologna sandwich, yes I like bologna infact it happens to be my favorite lunch meat. Blame my Mom. So I need something other than sugar quick, fast, and in a hurry, enter Spicy Sausage and Tortillini Soup.

Let me just let you know right away that this soup had so much bite to it that my eyes were watering the entire time that I was eating it. Wow and ouch seriously. Next time I will either skip the mustard all together or not use spicy sausage. Too much heat, wow!

It is the perfect cold night supper. Baby Cakes said "It's good baby, I like it, I like those little tortillini deals". He also referred to the broth of the prepared soup as "liquid gold". So apparently he loves the heat, shrug, as if I didn't already know he would love it. Just call me wimp.


Spicy Sausage and Tortillini Soup‏
from Tasty Kitchen

1 lb. hot sausage, ground
2 cloves garlic, minced
46 oz. chicken stock
2 cups water
10 ounces bag frozen cheese tortellini
14 oz. can stewed tomatoes
1-2 cups frozen veggies, mixed
⅓ cup dijon mustard
oregano, to taste
½ teaspoons black pepper
1 cup fresh spinach leaves

Brown the sausage and garlic in a stock pot; drain and return to pot.

Add the chicken stock and water and bring to a low simmer.

Add the tortellini and cook about 5 minutes or until tender.

Add the tomatoes, frozen veggies, dijon mustard, oregano, and pepper. Stir thoroughly and heat through.

Add the spinach and cook until wilted.


This pairs wonderfully with some crusty garlic bread. Overall, it was/is a wonderful quick weeknight meal. Next time I'll play with it a bit and see what we get.

XOXO,

2 comments:

  1. Megan that sounds so wonderful right now!! And hey, I'm a bologna kinda gal myself so no judgment here! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you ma'am. Us bologna lovers must stick together! (grin)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...