Tuesday, December 20, 2011

5-Flavor Pound Cake

I have made this recipe several times this past month but for some reason I have not shared the recipe with y’all yet. I don’t know what I am thinking. I blame it on the busy holiday season.

There aren’t words for how wonderful this cake is, dense, creamy, and I am in love with the combination of flavors. When I came across this recipe I noted that the post said “I’ve never met anyone who didn’t like this cake” and so far, after sharing it with many, I find that to be true. In fact everyone comments on how good it is. Who knew a simple pound cake would be the key to cooking adoration? I do now!

For Christmas this year I am making these for gifts for mine and Baby Cakes’ co-workers and bosses; easy, affordable gifts. I’m also making large bundt cakes to take to all the Christmas’ we have to attend this year. It doesn’t get easier than that. Okay, well maybe it does but for a Martha like me it doesn't.


5-Flavor Pound Cake
recipe lightly adapted from Sweet Pea

2 sticks butter
1/2 c vegetable shortening
3 c sugar
5 eggs, well beaten
3 c flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 c milk
1 teaspoon each coconut, butter, lemon, vanilla, and almond extract

Combine butter, shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Stir in the well beaten eggs.

Combine the flour and baking powder in a small bowl and add to the creamed mixture alternating with milk.

Stir in flavors.

Spoon into a well-greased bundt or loaf pan and bake at 325 degrees for 1 1/2 hours or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.

Soak with glaze and let cool.


5-Flavor Glaze

1 c sugar
1/2 c water
1 teaspoon each above stated extract

Combine ingredients in a heavy saucepan. Bring to a boil and stir until sugar is melted. Pour over cake after removing from oven.


I can’t think of any way to make this better. Earlier this year I used raspberry extract in lieu of the coconut because I felt it was springier but for winter coconut just seems a more appropriate depth of flavor. I have also seen the recipe with rum extract instead of almond but I am an almond girl. Maybe use them all, a 7-flavor pound cake? Yum.

XOXO,

4 comments:

  1. Oh Boy Oh Boy Oh Boy this looks so good! Thank you! I'm always looking for new ideas for homemade gifts and this one looks so perfect! Merry Christmas to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Marilyn. I love to bake things for gifts. The guys at Baby Cakes work came back the next day raving about how good it is and no one who eats it doesn't ask how to make it. Have recipe cards ready to go!

    Thanks again for coming by. Merry Christmas to you and yours as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you packaged the cakes into smaller portions for gifts. I'm sure the recipients enjoyed this gift!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They did. I actually caught a cold before I could make enough for all the family functions but I intend to use this recipe again next year for gifts.

    Thank you, for sharing the recipe on your blog in the first place!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...