Thursday, July 14, 2011

Cabbage and Sausage Garden Tomato Soup

I know that this recipe seems a bit out of place, more of a fall or winter recipe but when you’re a soup lover, and I am, it is a welcomed bowl full of goodness. That being said, let’s get on with it.

Growing up I was never a fan of just plain old tomato soup. Yes, I would dunk my grilled cheese in until it was soggy but that was the extent of what came out of the bowl. Everyone else in our house loved it, my Mom, a done deal; she even orders it at restaurants. But me, I will eat it if that is my only choice but never order it. Let me tell you, I would order this!

We love cabbage in our house, we have a freezer full of sausage thanks to my hunting huggy and I always have chicken stock on hand. Combine those things with an array of veggies, hence the garden in the name, and you get this. A wonderful, flavorful tomato based soup.


Cabbage and Sausage Garden Tomato Soup

2 tablespoon butter
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
4 stalks celery, thinly sliced
2 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
1 small head cabbage, sliced
6 cups chicken broth
2 cups water
1 tablespoon chicken paste
1 can tomato paste
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon paprika
1 teaspoon dried thyme
½ teaspoon black pepper
2 teaspoons salt
1 lb. ground pork or venison sausage

Put the olive oil and butter into a dutch oven or large pot and set over medium low heat. Sauté the sausage until browned, using a spoon to break up the large pieces. Transfer the sausage to a plate and set aside.

Add the onions, celery, carrots and garlic to the heated oil and butter and cook until just beginning to soften. Stir in the cabbage, put the lid on, and cook until it begins to wilt, about 5 minutes.

Wisk in the broth, water, chicken paste, and tomato paste; add in all the spices but the sugar, stirring to combine.

Bring to a boil, stir in the sausage and sugar and turn down the heat to medium/low. Simmer for 20 minutes.

Serve hot with good crusty bread for dipping.


I cannot wait to make this again in the fall. I also can’t wait to package this up and send it out with Baby Cakes to deer camp. It is wonderfully warming and if the aroma isn’t enough to draw people to the kitchen just serve it alongside a grilled cheese sandwich. Perfection.

P.S. Momma- when can I expect you for supper? Wink.

Pur-D-lightful,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...