Wednesday, September 14, 2011

North African Meatball Stew

I must say right off the bat that this is one of the best main dishes I have ever made and posted on this blog. Although this is Weight Watchers recipe there is nothing diet about it. It has depth of flavor and produced incredibly tender meatballs. Love at first bite!

Baby Cakes give this one an 8 and wanted me to share that anything above a 7 he would gladly eat again but I personally use his score system with the 10 as my score which means love it. And I do, I love it!


North African Meatball Stew
recipe from Weight Watchers Ready, Set, Go! Cookbook, pg. 80

1 pound ground lean beef (5% fat or less)
1 tablespoon dried cilantro
2 teaspoons ground cumin
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon black pepper
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 cup diced tomatoes
¾ cup water
3 tablespoons tomato paste
2 tablespoons lemon juice

Mix together beef, cilantro, 1 teaspoon cumin, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoons of pepper in a large bowl, just until well combined. Shape into 24 (1-inch) meatballs.

Heat the oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook stirring until softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in tomatoes, water, tomato paste, and remaining 1 teaspoon cumin, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Bring to boil.

Add the meatballs to the skillet. Reduce heat and simmer covered until meatballs are cooked through and sauce is thickened about 30 minutes. Stir in lemon juice.

Serving Size: 6 meatballs and 2/3 cups of sauce
Weight Watchers Points Plus Points: 5


Serve over couscous, quinoa or rice.


I will most assuredly be making this again and again and again.

Bon Appetite,

3 comments:

  1. Hi! I was so glad to see you posted these. I was browsing through this book at a meeting, but I didn't want to buy the whole set and couldn't buy it on its own. I really wanted to make this particular recipe, so I googled it and found your lovely blog. I remember there being mint though - is this an exact copy of the recipe or did you tweak it at all? Looks yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so good. Infact, most of the Weight Watchers recipes are!

    I did leave out the mint as I didn't have any, but I am certain it would be even better with it.

    Thanks for swinging by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! I can't wait to try it:)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...