Monday, August 2, 2010

Cherry Clafoutis

This weekend I hosted a girls night. My sisters, sister-in-laws and I got together at my house for a grown up game night and sleep over. It was so fun. We stayed up all night, really all night!, and had way too many drinks. I learned a few things about myself because of this party, #1 I am too old to stay up all night, I still feel like I have jet lag today and #2 next time I will ban all men. Baby Cakes is a social butterfly and he decided not to make other plans and to stick around for the night. He was a doll and catered to us girls all night but it just would have been more carefree without him there, so next time, NO MEN!!!

The morning after we partied hearty I was in charge of making breakfast for the ladies and myself. I chose to make a dish that might not actually be considered breakfast, infact it is actually a dessert dish but I thought you only live once. I first saw this recipe on Food Network on a cooking show called Secrets of a Resturant Chef. Love that show, love Anne Burrell and love this dish. To me it had the feel of bread pudding, the dense sweet creamy goodness of it but with sweet tart cherries as well. I am a new found clafouti fool and WILL be making it again, alot!



Cherry Clafoutis
recipe courtesy of Anne Burrell

1/2 stick butter, melted, plus more for baking dish
1/2 cup all-purpose flour, plus more for baking dish
1 pound fresh cherries, pitted and cut in 1/2 or 1 box frozen cherries
1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted
1/2 cup sugar
Pinch salt
4 eggs
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 lemon, zested
Powdered sugar
Ice cream or whipped cream, for garnish

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.

Generously butter and flour a 7 by 5-inch baking dish or 6 individual, wide, flat gratin dishes.

Add the cherries, in an even layer, to the prepared baking dish.

In the bowl of a food processor, add the almonds, sugar, flour and salt and pulse until they are coarsely chopped. In a large bowl, using a whisk, combine the eggs, milk, vanilla and lemon zest until they are homogeneous. Add in the melted butter and the flour mixture and whisk until smooth. Pour over the cherries.

Bake in the preheated oven for 35 to 40 minutes, or until the center is set and the top is golden brown.

Dust with powdered sugar and serve with ice cream or whipped cream or both!



When I saw her make this I knew it would be a stellar dish and boy oh boy was I right. This is so good. Make it, you'll love it!

We topped ours with powdered sugar and whipped cream but it would be so good served warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.

I will posting a few of the drinks from girls night in the next few days. Tequila Sunrise, Rusty Nickel, Red-Headed Slut and Lindsey Lohan (if your not a drinker and find this offensive my apologizes).

Love.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you, it is. I highly recommend this recipe. I've made it a few times since. XOXO.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...