Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Just Lemon Pie


Last Thanksgiving my husbands Granny made a Lemon Chess Pie that was heavenly. I asked for the recipe but haven't been given it yet. (sad face) It was creamy and sweet with a hint of lemon, mmm, amazing. This pie has crossed my mind so many times since then and I'm not to ashamed to admit. I loved this pie. I want to get my hand on the recipe for this pie. So if you know of a Lemon Chess Pie recipe that's more like chess pie with a hint of lemon instead of just lemon pie please send it my way. Okay now that that tangent is over on with this show.

My Nanny is down from Idaho for a few weeks visiting all my aunts, aka her daughters, and I invited her over to the see the new house and eat dinner with BCakes and I. It was lovely seeing her and letting her see and taste my cooking, I truly love cooking for people. To me food is how I show I care. The menu I prepared for her was Honey Glazed Chicken, Mashed Sweet Potatoes and Roasted Asparagus (I forgot to take pictures of all that, I'm sorry) and for dessert I served what was supposed to be an attempt at Lemon Chess Pie, it ended up being just like a lemon meringue pie hence the name Just Lemon Pie.

This recipe came from a little cookbook made years ago by a group of women right here in Magnolia, Texas. They create them almost every year for a fundraising event. My Grandma Lolly is one of the above said ladies. These books are chaulked full of yummy local favorites and family recipes alike and although this pie is not the exact pie I was looking for it is acutally very good. To me it tasted exactly like a lemon meringue pie only without so much meringue. It is certainly worth trying if not for the flavor then because it is so easy to make.


Just Lemon Pie

1 cup granulated sugar
4 Tablespoons butter
rind and juice of 2 large lemons
4 eggs, separated
1 pie crust, baked

Preheat the oven to 350.

Put sugar and butter into a bowl and cream until the mixture is a bit airy. Add the egg yolks into the butter mixture and mix in. Add the lemon rind and juice and again beat in. (It will look a little curdled not to worry.)

In a seprate bowl, with clean and dry beaters, mix the egg whites until stiff and then lightly fold into the butter mixture.

Pour into the baked pie shell and bake at 350 until set, about 30 minutes give or take a few.


Like I said above it is a really good pie. In the words of Nathan, my pre-teen cousin, "I would eat it again if someone put it down in front of me". Love him!

Enjoy,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...