Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Brown Sugar Pork Roast

There seems to be a common theme with almost all of the recipes I make, have you noticed? They are either smothered in cream sauce or made with brown sugar in some variation, and I wonder why I have so much weight to lose. Ok I don't really wonder. Or really care. (I am women hear me roar! GRIN.)

Just recently I have come across some new blogs, not new per say but new to me and this recipe came from one of them. The Girl Who Ate Everything is a blog by Christy who happens to be a blogger after my own heart; she has two times the desserts on her blog than any other type of recipe. Love. I implore you to go check her out and certainly to try some of her recipes out for yourself.

Now I didn't read the recipe very well before the day came, today, to make this so I was a bit rushed on time and had to improvise and cross my fingers hoping that it worked. It worked, sort of. Mine ended up having an awful lot of liquid left and I couldn't get the deep brown color that hers had. Check out her original recipe and yummy picture Café Rio Sweet Pork over on her blog. I will be making it again and hopefully with a new crockpot (wink wink) because the only setting that works on my hand me down version is high. Luckily, even though I had to accelerate the cooking time, not to mention cook with a broken crockpot, it turned out tasting wonderful. I am thinking that shortening the cooking time is what made it not turn out “right” but I did cook it for the full 4 hours after the saucy stuff was added so I am kind of at a loss here. Oh well, the taste is really what matters for us anyhow.

Baby Cakes loves it and all he really said between bites was this meat is so versatile and that "seriously, you have to make this one again Megan". lol. He's the boss (or so I let him think). Wink!


Brown Sugar Pork Roast
original recipe from The Girl Who Ate Everything

2-3 lbs. pork roast
2 cups root beer
15 oz. can tomato sauce
2 tbs. honey
1 tsp. minced garlic
1/4 tsp. salt
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
2 tsp. cumin
pepper to taste

Salt and pepper the roast on both sides and place in a crock pot. Pour over 1/4 cup of water and turn the heat up to high. Cook in the crock pot for 6 hours.

Remove the roast from the crockpot and shred it into large chunks using a fork, removing any fat. Drain all the water left in the crockpot. Add the rest of the ingredients to the crockpot and stir. Add in the shredded pork and cook another 4 hours on low heat.


We ate ours like nachos. What can I say? I have a ton of baking to do yet and I have to work all day tomorrow. The name of the game for tonight and tomorrow night is quick and easy supper. However, Christy serves it in a salad form, that looks wonderful by the way. I really hope that you try this one in either salad, nachos or even sandwich form and I know that you are going to love it.

See y’all after turkey day and that reminds me I recently came across this picture, Norman Rockwell's A Mother and Son Peeling Potatoes, 1945, and instantly teared up. It makes me think of my brother who couldn't make it home for Thanksgiving this year.


So no matter who will be missed or who will be there I wish everyone a very Happy Thanksgiving,



2 comments:

  1. I love brown sugar ham so I'll bet this is good too! Hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...