Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Marmalade Curry Chicken

I am a curry kind of girl. A few months ago Baby Cakes took me to a Thai restaurant for supper and I felt like being a bit daring and trying something curry. Now I had heard stories in the past about how curry makes people smell? I don’t know if there’s any truth to that but either way growing up I had always associated curry with something gross. Not anymore. It is wonderful, a warm spice for sure, slightly sweet on your tongue, it is unlike any other spice.

Being as I am a new crock pot fanatic and I love me some curry I thought I would give this recipe a shot. I did tweak a few little things from the original recipe. The first thing being the ginger, I am allergic to ginger so I tend to omit it, in it's place I added cinnamon although I really can't tell you why. The second tweak was adding more chicken broth and that was because of my third tweak, adding more chicken. I had a family pack with 9 thighs in it, thawed them all, and had a slight panick attack trying to figure out when and what I would make with the left over 5 thighs. Nuh-uh I am cooking them all in this recipe. Left overs are your friend on a busy day, as is the crock pot.

I have to admit that I wasn't crazy about this recipe. Neither was Baby Cakes. Was it good? Sure. Is it something that I'll be making again? Probably not. However, I'm glad that I tried it and just want to tell you, please please don't let my less than stellar rating stop you from giving it a go at least once. You never know, you might love it.


Marmalade Curry Chicken
recipe slighly adapted from A Year of Slow Cooking

8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
1 (18-ounce) jar orange marmalade
1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 cup chicken broth

Put the chicken into the bottom of your slow cooker.

In a small bowl, combine the marmalade with the dry spices and chicken broth. Pour this on top of the chicken.

Cover and cook on low for 6 to 7 hours or on high for about 4 hours.

Serve over rice with a bit of the curry sauce.


You know, after thinking about it it the fact that I left out the curry might have been why it didn't turn out as good as the original blog post implied.

XOXO,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...