Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Smothered Pork Chops

Have I ever shared with you how much I love anything pickled? I am a pickle eater. In fact when I was younger my Mom and Dad would give me a giant jar of pickles for Christmas. At family functions the pickle tray is put out last minute because they know either I or my brother will get into them and they will be mostly gone before the supper takes place. I always order fried pickles if they have them on a menu. At night if I feel like having a snack it’s more than likely eating pickles from the jar until I can’t eat anymore. I’ve had pickled eggs, pickled corn, carrots, green beans, okra, sweet, spicy or dill, anything pickled. I have been on a search for the pickled coleslaw recipe that Baby Cakes and I had on our honeymoon since our, well, honeymoon, can’t find anything close by the way, perhaps a good reason to go back to the B&B we stayed at. My favorite snow cone flavor is pickle. Yeah, I love pickles. So you know that when I came across this recipe on $5 Dinners it was on like Donkey Kong. I had to try it.

Now her version is baked, as are a few others version I found online, but I am trying it in a large skillet like the original recipe calls for. Infact, here is the exact recipe borrowed from $5 Dinners blog.


It turned out really tasty and although it didn't actually taste like pickles it was very very good. Baby Cakes gave it a 9 and I give it 7. I would make it again though, overall it was a yummy and fairly simple dish to make.


Smothered Pork Chops
recipe from $5 Dinners

1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
4-5 pork chops
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 small onions, chopped
1 cup celery, chopped
2 tablespoons pickle juice
1 tablespoon water
salt and pepper to taste

In a shallow dish mix the flour, salt and pepper until combined. Dip the pork chops on both sides in the flour mixture to coat.

Heat the oil in a large skillet and brown the pork chops on both side. Turn the heat down to low.

Cover the browned pork chops with the onions, celery, pickle juice and water; cover and simmer over low heat for 1 hour or until the onions are soft and meat is cooked through.

Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve over buttered rice or mashed potatoes.


I think one of the best thing about this recipe is that it is from so long ago. I love things with history.

Nom Nom Nom,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...