Monday, April 26, 2010

Cheesy Sausage and Potato Casserole‏

Saturday night was a blast! It was my girlfriends annual joint birthday party, Maggie and Nessa, and it was so much fun. I did not take pictures (duh!) and even if I had I wouln't be posting them on this post. What happens at the birthday party stays at the birthday party, lol. Anyhow, the point I am getting to is that I am a firm believer in eating before you go drinking. Some people are and some people aren't, I find that it saves me from a Jack-in-Box drive through mishap at 1 or 2 a.m. in the morning. (Now to anyone who is thinking that I drive while intoxicated you are wrong, my husband does not drink, not a sip, ever!, so he would have been the above said driver in the above said scenerio. Just saying.)

I knew I wanted and truly needed something simple and quick to make for supper. My older brother was over because he was taking advantage of the designated driver and my couch that night. So I also knew that I had two men to feed. Enter Cheesy Sausage and Potato Casserole. (Of course we used venison pan sausage as we have just picked up this years batch from the processors.) This recipe was found over at Lisa's blog The Cutting Edge of Ordinary on yet another amazing culinary blog adventure.


Cheesy Sausage and Potato Casserole‏
adapted from Cheesy Kielbasa and Potato Casserole‏

‏1 pound of breakfast sausage
1 bag (20 ounces) frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, plus extra for the top
1 cup sour cream
1 medium onion, chopped
2 small cans mushrooms, roughly chopped
salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 350 and lightly spray a 9x13 inch baking pan with cooking spray.

In a skillet brown the sausage. Add the chopped onions and cook with sausage until the onions cook clear. Add the mushrooms and cook until warmed. Transfer to a large bowl.

To the bowl add in the cheese, sour cream, hashbrowns and salt and pepper and stir gently to combine. Spread into the greased pan.

Bake about 25 minutes, then top with some cheese and cook for another 15 minutes or until the cheese is melted. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.



You can tell from the pictures that the cheese on top looked a bit crisp and it was hence the fact that I put on the recipe to put the cheese on top for the last 15 minutes. This is one that I am going to keep playing with perhaps add a can of cream of something next time. Despite my want to play around with it the recipe itself was very good and I would gladly eat it if it were served the exact same way.

Yummy once more,

1 comment:

  1. Megan I'm so glad you took this recipe and made it your own. I love when people do that! It sounds delicious! Thanks for giving it a try! I might have to try it with the breakfast sausage too!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...