Tuesday, January 3, 2012

New Year’s Good Luck Spinach Dip

Let’s talk dip cause’ I love me some dip. (Should I be alarmed that in that sentence the only spell check alert I received was for the word cause’? Hmm.)

Instead of cabbage for New Years I chose to make a different leafy green recipe. I know that everyone makes cabbage, well, maybe not everyone but in my neck of the woods it’s cabbage, but in all honesty you can use any green that you want. Greens symbolize money in regards to New Year tradition so any green can do. I chose spinach. I couldn’t be happier with that decision.

This dip is so flavorful. I was trepidatious about using fat free and low fat dairies but you honestly can’t tell at all. Even Baby Cakes loved it. He is not a veggie eater by the way.


New Year’s Good Luck Spinach Dip
recipe adapted from Ezra Pound Cake

2 slices bacon
1 small sweet onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
1/2 red sweet pepper, seeded and chopped (3/4 cup)
10 ounce bag of fresh spinach
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 8-ounce package reduced-fat cream cheese (Neufchatel), cubed and softened
1/2 cup (2 ounces) low-fat Monterey Jack or Parmesan, shredded
1/2 cup light sour cream
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

In a large skillet, cook the bacon until crisp. Drain the bacon on paper towels. Set aside.

Discard all but 2 teaspoons of bacon drippings from skillet. Add onion and sweet pepper to skillet, and cook over medium heat until vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes.

Add the spinach and garlic; cover and cook until wilted, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat.

Stir in the cream cheese, cheese, sour cream, salt and red pepper flakes into the spinach mixture, stirring until combined.

Crumble the bacon and stir into spinach mixture.

Spread the mixture in a small casserole dish and bake, uncovered, for 10 minutes.

I served this along with sliced cucumber and pita chips. Amazing!


I will be making this again, and not just for New Years. Seriously, that good.

XOXO,

2 comments:

  1. This sounds really good. I bet it could be served as a creamed spinach side dish, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know Annie, it probably could be. If I didn't love a good dip so much I would certainly eat it like that. Infact, I do have quite a bit leftover, hmmmm?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...