Friday, July 22, 2011

Smothered Hamburger Steak

Every once in a while Baby Cakes will order hamburger steak at a local icehouse/restaurant we have down the road from us and although I grew up eating it occasionally I hadn’t ever made it. Tonight that changes.

I remember my Mom making this only she used chicken fried steak meat. I had thawed hamburger meat so this recipe is a combination of the both of us.

Baby Cakes loved it. I loved it. You’ll love it. Yum-O.


Smothered Hamburger Steak

1 lb. hamburger, seasoned and formed into 3 or 4 oblong patties
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion, sliced thin
1 packet brown gravy
1 cup cold water

Coat the bottom of a large skillet with the tablespoon of olive oil. Place the hamburger patties in the skillet and cook until almost done over medium heat. Transfer the patties to a plate and set aside.

Add the onions and sauté until caramelized.

Whisk together the gravy mix into the water and pour into the skillet with the onions.

Turn up the heat to medium high and thicken the gravy, about 5 minutes.

Turn the heat down to low and add the meat back to the skillet. Warm through.

You can serve this with mashed potatoes or buttered rice.


Seriously you guys how have I not made this before? It is wonderful. Baby Cakes ate two patties in one sitting.

Love,

3 comments:

  1. I NEED THIS. Like NOW. I cant wait to make it, comfort food at its best, I am going to serve it with some mashed potatoes and mac n cheese!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Comfort food at it's best!!! The smell of them alone is sooo good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OOOOH - wish I could have a bite! Or Three! Looks very yummy - good for you for trying something you've not made before. Looks like it was a royal success. =)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...