Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Polish Potato and Sausage Bake

I don’t think I have ever had this happen before- I held on to a recipe before making it for so long that the blog that I got it from is no longer an active blog. This morning I tried going to it and low and behold it’s gone so I can’t really link to it. However, I can share what is what called and pay her homage in that way, napoleonicecreamcomplex.blogspot.com. I don’t know where she went or why because apparently I have been a bad blog follower but she had some good recipe while she was around and this is one of them.

I actually made this last night, prepared it and then stuck it in the fridge so that tonight’s supper would be a breeze. If I had known how amazing it is it wouldn’t have lasted through the night. The vinegar adds something, a certain bite, to the potatoes and the sausage it perfect for this dish, it gives it a warmth that you wouldn’t get from ground hamburger (but if that’s all you have on hand certainly be my guest). There is not one thing I would change about it. I plan on making it again and again and always following the recipe exactly how it is now.

The Cakes give this one a 8.7, what his scale is based on I don’t know but I disagree with him and say that it is a 10 without question. This is very, very good and I hope that you’ll try it.


Polish Potato and Sausage Bake
adapted from the extinct Napoleon Ice Cream Complex

4 tbsp. unsalted butter
2 tsp. olive oil
8 oz. fresh spinach
1 log breakfast sausage, broken into small pieces
1 onion, medium, diced
1 garlic clove, minced
3 large russet potatoes, washed, 1 unpeeled, and cut into 1-inch cubes
1/3 cup half and half
2 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
dash of nutmeg and paprika
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided into 1 cup each

Preheat the oven to 400 F. Butter an 8 x 8 inch or round baking dish.

Heat one tsp. olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the spinach and cook until wilted, about 2 minutes. Transfer it to strainer and drain. When cool, squeeze out liquid and roughly chop the spinach. Set aside.

Add the sausage and onion as well as the last tsp. olive oil to the skillet and cook over medium-high heat until browned.

Meanwhile, place the potatoes into a large pot and add enough water to cover by 1 inch. Bring them to a boil, lower heat, and cook until tender, about 15 minutes. Drain the potatoes and put them back into the pot, and mash with butter, cream, garlic, vinegar, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Stir in spinach and 1 cup of the cheese.

Transfer the potato-spinach mixture to a prepared baking dish and top with sausage-onion mixture. Sprinkle with the remaining 1 cup of cheese and top with paprika for color. Bake until potatoes are very hot and cheese gets golden and bubbly, 20 to 25 minutes.


3 more days until Christmas,

1 comment:

  1. Love the ingredients, so I'm sure I would love this dish! Hope you have a Merry Christmas. We begin festivities tomorrow and then it's non-stop till Sunday LOL! That's why you get with a lot of family who all live in the same area. Was just telling The Cajun today I am so glad we don't have to travel anywhere for the holidays. At least not at this point!:)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...