Friday, November 26, 2010

Twice Baked Sweet Potato Casserole

For the last couple of years I have been the bringer of the sweet potatoes during any family get together and this is not something that I take lightly. Anyone who loves to cook knows the satisfied feeling one gets from making a dish that everyone loves. There is something about bringing a dish over full and then seeing that it is the one dish empty by meals end that makes slaving in the kitchen worthwhile. This year after making the same recipe time and time again I thought I would make a tiny adjustment. I had no idea what a difference that tiny adjustment would make.

The above said adjustment are fresh sweet potatoes. I never gave them much thought in the past for many reasons; the number one reason is that I was raised on canned and the second reason was I was under the impression that it would be too much hassle. Now that I have had it this way I will never go back to the canned version again.

I would also like to note that in the past I have always just added a bit of this and a bit of that, I honestly had no idea of even the slightest measurements so making it yesterday took a bit longer but alas it is done and I now have a recipe to share.


Twice Baked Sweet Potato Casserole

8-10 lbs. sweet potatoes
1 stick unsalted butter, softened
1/3 block of cream cheese, softened
1 tsp. cinnamon
½ tsp. nutmeg
½ tsp. vanilla extract
½ tsp. salt
¾-1 cup light brown sugar
1 bag mini marshmallows

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Place the sweet potatoes directly on the wire rack and bake for 60 minutes or until done. Think baked potato but a bit softer. After they are done set them on a heat proof surface and cool until comfortable to touch. I find that it is easier to melt the butter and cream cheese into the mix if it is still slightly warm.

Scoop the sweet potato flesh into a large bowl and add the cream cheese and butter, stirring until completely melted.

Stir in the cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, ¾ cups brown sugar and vanilla extract. Taste and add the last ¼ cup of brown sugar as needed.

Put into a 9x13 dish and bake for 15-20 minutes. Top with mini marshmallows and bake for 15 minutes longer or until the marshmallows are browned.

Unfortunately I forgot to take a picture of the casserole, during all the hoopla and lending a hand it just slipped my mind, so that post will just have to borrow a picture until a little later. The picture I borrowed looked exactly like mine except I use more marshmallows and baked it in a rectangle dish. I found the picture here. Not to worry I will be making this again, soon and posting the picture, my picture.

XOXO.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...