Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Corn Bread Topped Spicy Sausage Pie

I am sick and therefore should be exempt from cooking dinner today but we are all out of leftovers and BCakes has worked in the cold and rain all day and deserves a hot meal. To the recipe files I go and find this, I know that it can easily be adapted with venison sausage and he will be thrilled, he loves it when I cook with venison. (He is man, he provide for family.) So he's happy, wonderful and I am happy because it seems fairly simple and foolproof (or sick proof as were the case). It’s a win-win.

This recipe comes from a blog that I frequent named Jenn Cooks, she has been blogging for 3 years and has yet to disappoint. I thought I might note that she takes step by step photos while she is making the recipes that she features, what an overachiever she is. Lol. Honestly, I am jealous, I am lucky if I remember to take one picture of my dishes. Get familiar with her because I will be making more of her yummy recipes in the future and you will too if you go check her out.

Baby Cakes is in love with this one and I must admit I am too. It is very hearty and flavorful. The perfect weeknight meal for a cold and wintery evening spent inside snuggled on the couch. The best part about it is after he ate he started wrapping all the Christmas presents, he knows I despise that one things about Christmas, I know I know just call me Scrooge.

I have a habit of adding things to make a meal stretch, blame it on my watching my parents cook while growing up. Once upon a time my parents were on a tight budget and had 6 little mouths and 2 adult mouths to feed, adding a can of corn here or some beans there often did the trick and even though in my household it's only the BCake man and myself I still find myself adding extra cans of this or that to almost every meal. So the point I am making is that I added a few extra things and made one small little change other than the venison/hog sausage.


Corn Bread Topped Spicy Sausage Pie
recipe adapted from Jenn Cooks

1 lb. spicy sausage
1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
1 can (8 oz.) tomato sauce
1 can (15 oz.) sliced stewed tomatoes
1 cup frozen whole kernel corn, thawed
1 jar (4.5 oz) sliced mushrooms, drained
1 can (15 oz.) dark red kidney beans
1 tbs. garlic powder
1 tbs. salt
1/2 tbs. pepper
1 1/2 cup shredded cheese
corn bread mix, prepared per package directions
1/4 cup shredded cheese

Heat the oven to 400 degrees.

In 10-inch skillet, cook sausage, onion, bell pepper and garlic over medium heat 8 to 10 minutes, stirring frequently, until sausage is no longer pink. Drain. Stir in tomato sauce, corn and mushrooms. Heat to boiling; remove from heat.

In medium bowl, stir cheese into prepared cornbread batter.

Spoon the sausage mixture into an ungreased 2 qt. casserole dish and sprinkle with the 1 1/2 cups of shredded cheese.

Pour and spread the cornbread mixture over the top and spread evenly.

Bake uncovered 20 to 25 minutes or until topping is golden brown.


Like I said above delish. The cornbread works as a buffer to the spice in the sausage and the corn adds a touch of sweetness. I love it and absolutely will be making it again soon.

XOXO,


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...