Saturday, September 25, 2010

Slow-Cooked Pork & Apple Stew‏

This recipe, partly the recipe itself and partly being from Mr. Food, reminds me of my childhood. Playing outside with my friends and siblings. Deciding it is about the time we should head home. Running inside the house and smelling dinner on the stove. Seeing Momma standing at the edge between the kitchen and the living room and watching Mr. Food on the 5 o'clock news. (My Mom loved his segment. He would come on the TV and share a quick recipe or two with his viewers). If I was lucky we would be having pan seared pork chops with a side of cold cinnamon applesauce to dip the pork chops in (the sole reason for my love of fruit and meat combos, thank you Mom). This was a daily accurance, our Mom watching the 5 o'clock news while cooking dinner. Sometimes, in my adult life, when I come in from work and have to set about making supper I turn on the news just for the background noise. Something about it feels like home.

I chose to spend my Saturday on the couch, seeing how I have broncitis and all, and thought this would be a great day for a stew, I am just about chicken noodle soup'ed out. I had just gone to the grocery yesterday and bought the ingredients for one so heck what's stopping me? So a bit of prep work and hours later I have a wonderful dish to enjoy. My only complaint is the above said prep work, it is a bit much for a work morning crock pot recipe but for a lazy day at home it's a cinch.

Cozy couch? Check. Warm pork stew? check. Box of tissues? Check. Favorite movies? Check. Let my rainy night movie marathon commence. (Baby Cakes is at a bachelor party tonight, another one bites the dust, lol. So it's just sick little ol' me and the stew. Me? I'm not complaining.)


Slow-Cooked Pork & Apple Stew‏
adapted from a Mr. Food recipe

3 potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
4 carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
1 medium onion, cut into chunks
2 beef bouillon cubes, crushed
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
2 pounds boneless pork roast or butt, cut into chunks
1 (24-ounce) jar regular applesauce

In a slow cooker, combine the potatoes, carrots, onions, bouillon cube, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and pepper. Place pork over vegetables and pour applesauce over the top.

Cover and cook on high setting for 6 to 8 hours. Stir and serve.


I just realized I haven't said anything about the recipe. Duh. It is wonderful. The pork is super tender, you can certainly taste the cinnamon and applesauce and it's not too soupy. Baby Cakes would want to add some spice, no want to, he would add some spice but other than that it's a keeper in my book. (Although I am already thinking of ways to make it even better.)

Have a good one,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...