Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Eggnog Fudge

My littlest brother Daniel, who isn’t so little anymore, he is the father of my niece Hailey, loves Eggnog. In fact out of the 8 of us, before spouses and baby’s came along, My Mother, Daniel and I were the only ones who even liked Eggnog and to this day I think that that is still a fact. A few years ago I began collecting Eggnog themed recipes and putting them aside to one day make for him. This is the one I chose to make for various reasons, one being that it is actually quite easy compared to the Merry Cherry Fudge and the second reason being below.

My Father-in-Law is the Fudge maker in my family, since I began dating Baby Cakes his father has been the one making and sharing fudge with everyone. His is the traditional chocolate fudge with pecans, the recipe you find on the back of the Marshmallow Fluff Jar. It is wonderfully rich and creamy and how I do enjoy it but this year I wanted to play a hand in spreading Christmas Cheer as well so I began searching for ways to do just that, enter Eggnog Fudge. Now I can kill two birds with one stone (which isn’t very Christmas-y now that I think about it, "two partridges in a pair tree…”), make some fudge and make something Eggnog for my youngest baby brother.


Eggnog Fudge
recipe from RecipeGirl.com

2 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup butter
3/4 cup dairy eggnog
10.5 ounces white chocolate bars, chopped into small pieces
1/2 tsp freshly grated nutmeg, plus a little more for the top of the fudge
One 7 ounce jar marshmallow creme
1 tsp rum extract

Butter a 8 or 9 inch square glass pan.

In a heavy, 3-quart saucepan combine sugar, butter and eggnog. Bring to a rolling boil, stirring constantly. Continue boiling 8 to 10 minutes over medium heat or until a candy thermometer reaches 235°F, soft ball stage, stirring constantly to prevent scorching. Remove from heat.

Using a wooden spoon, work quickly to stir in white chocolate chips and nutmeg until chocolate is melted and smooth. Stir in the marshmallow creme and rum extract. Mix vigourously until well blended and then pour into the prepared pan. Sprinkle a little freshly ground nutmeg on top. Let stand at room temperature until cooled. Refrigerate if you’d like to speed up the process.

When completely cool, cut into squares. Store in a covered container.



I left a taste for Baby Cakes on the spatula and he raved about it. This tastes exactly like eggnog, in fact when you’re cooking it, the exact moment during the mixing process that the rum extract is added you can smell it, it smells exactly like eggnog. I've already eaten 2 peices! I love it, you'll love it and I can't wait for everyone to try it.

5 More Days...

2 comments:

  1. I've never heard of eggnog fudge. It sure sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is, if you like Eggnog than I highly recommend this recipe.

    Thanks for checking it out Kathleen! (grin)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...