Thursday, April 14, 2011

Souperburgers

I was not well prepared for last week’s grocery trip. I am a couponer, and sometimes I spend so much of my nonworking week prepping for couponing that I kind of forget about planning out a meal. I’m still new and it’s hard work saving money. Luckily this week I remembered in time to grab a cookbook on my way out the door and thumbing through it I came across this recipe. This isn’t a new cookbook; in fact when Baby Cakes and I were first dating we would often hit garage sales together on Saturday mornings. (We we’re so exciting huh? It worked for us.) That is where I picked up a copy of Best Recipes From the backs of Boxes, Bottles, Cans and Jars by Ceil Dyer. Truth be told I hadn’t even looked in it, in four years of it sitting on my shelf, moving with us and countless recipe searches I just always passed this book by. Not anymore. I’ve only made it to page 74 out of 578. Yes, I’ll be cooking from this book for quite some time to come.

One thing I really enjoy about this book is that it explains when and where the original recipe came from. For example today’s recipe, Souperburgers begins with this brief description: “Back in 1959 Campbell’s test kitchens developed this “souper” easy hearty main dish. Good cooks around the world still write in for this recipe. The results never disappoint them.” If nothing else it’s an interesting read but luckily it's a great recipe too.

Baby Cakes was treated to lunch at work and wasn't hungry (although he didn't tell me that until after I toasting the buns) but after he saw what I made he said he wanted one. He and I agree that they are amazing. They have so much flavor. The gumbo soup really makes it in this recipe. I would have to say that this recipe is better than Sloppy Joes. This is the new offical Bennett house sloppy-esque sandwich recipe.


Souperburgers
from the Best Recipes Cookbook

1 pound ground beef
½ cup onion, chopped
1 can Campbell’s Chicken Gumbo Soup
2 tablespoons catsup
1 tablespoon mustard
6 buns, split and toasted

Brown beef and cook onion in skillet until tender (use shortening, if necessary); stir to separate meat. Add soup and seasonings. Heat; stir often. Cook until the majority of liquid is cooked down. Serve on toasted buns. Makes about 3 cups.


Now don't be put off by the fact that there is rice in it you don't even notice and who knows that might just be what takes it over the top.

Yum! Really that's all there is to say about that.

XOXO,

3 comments:

  1. Ok so I am obsessed with learning how to coupon! I mean I clip coupons but I want to understand how people get 1000 dollars worth of groceries for like 6 bucks. IDK I just dont buy it. (literaly!)
    Oh and btw, I totally bookmarked this recipe. I think my hubs will love it since he loves "sloppy-esque" dishes!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the proper spelling on sloppy-esque. lol. It really is very good just make sure to butter and toast the buns. Over the top!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here in Missouri they call these Juicy Burgers and they sell and make these at the local town fair . The two churches have concession stands and they sell them.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...