Friday, July 1, 2011

Sautéed Steak with Onions

A few weeks ago my local grocery store offered a $3 off coupon off of their store brand of meat. To take advantage of that coupon I found the cheapest cut of meat I could and ended up getting it incredibly close to free. Only after I got it home did I realize that I have no idea what to make with it. I could make chicken fried steak but I don’t fry, not a single thing, ever. (Let me elaborate...)

Once upon a time while babysitting my youngest sister, she’s 11 years younger than I am essentially making me the responsible one in this scenario, I was cooking and talking on the phone and tipped a scolding hot dish of gravy over on top of her little baby head. That was 16 years ago and although she is fine, more than fine, it scared the crap out of me, and although it wasn’t grease it was gravy it still makes me shy away from all things scorching. I won’t even take anything out of the oven unless there isn’t anyone around to do it for me. Sad I know, but just one of those things that makes me into me.

Needless to say I needed a non-frying recipe so I found this. And it is great! I told Babycakes that I'll be making this more often and he is told me that he is down with that.


Sautéed Steak with Onions
recipe adapted from Chef2Chef.com

2 tablespoons butter
2 medium onions, sliced
1 lb. bottom round steak, cut into thin strips
1/2 cup beef broth
2 tablespoons ketchup
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
1/4 teaspoons dried thyme
1/4 teaspoons salt
1/8 teaspoons pepper
2 teaspoons packed light brown sugar

Melt butter in skillet over med heat. Add onions, cook until just starting to brown, about 5 min. Remove onions; set aside.

Increase heat to high. Add steak to skillet; cook until med rare, 3-5 min per side. Transfer to carving board; cover to keep warm.

Return onions to pan. Stir in broth, vinegar, ketchup, thyme, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Cook, stirring up the browned bits from the pan, until slightly thickened, about 1 min.

Slice steak; transfer to serving platter. Pour sauce over steak and serve.


Like I said above I love it. I love love love it.

XOXO,

1 comment:

  1. Free meat=HELL YEAH!! That looks pretty good to me, especially the mashedpotatoes, Im not gonna lie!!! Hope you guys have an amazing weekend and have great plans for the fourth!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...