Saturday, January 1, 2011

Fried Cabbage

I can remember in the past on New Year’s Eve my Grandma making all the traditional southern new year staples, black eyed peas, cabbage, corn bread and I am sure some sort of protein, most likely something pork, and although the following recipes aren’t from my Grandma I do make them every year because of her. Since learning what these foods represent I can’t imagine not eating them on the eve of or the actual day, hopeful that they might actually pull through. Superstitious maybe but I’ve always heard that you make your own luck and mine just happens to be in a big old pot on the stove, or so I believe.

This recipe actually came from my MIL; I had never had fried cabbage until I started dating my husband. In fact the only time I had even really eaten cabbage at all was on New Year’s or in the form of a cabbage roll a few times in my lifetime. Anyhow, I hadn’t been dating Baby Cakes that long when I was over for dinner at his Mom and Dad’s house for supper and had this version of cabbage. Oh.my.goodness good. We eat this often too, because I learned quickly that BCakes’ Mom knows the way to his heart. I take notes.


Fried Cabbage

1 small cabbage, rinsed and chopped
½ stick butter
½ onion, quarter
1-2 tbs. seasoning blend, your choice

Over medium heat in a large skillet sauté the sliced onion in the butter until done and/or translucent.

Add the cabbage and seasoning to the skillet, stir and cook down. It will wilt pretty quickly and once it begins to you can cover it with a lid and continue cooking over low heat for 25-45 minutes or until some of the cabbage had taken on a golden color and it is completely soft.

Serve it warm and preferably with some pepper sauce and corn bread.

I can’t help but grab a bit every time I walk pass the skillet. I adore it although it doesn’t make the house smell that lovely but that’s where Scentsy comes in.

Mmmm Buttery Cabbage,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...