Thursday, January 5, 2012

Cranberry Corn Bread

I have already shared the 3 Pigs in a Pot and New Year’s Good Luck Spinach Dip that we had on New Year’s Day but I thought some of you might also be interested in the cornbread I served up alongside it this year.

This recipe is another one from my Betty Crocker Win at Weight Loss Cookbook which happens to be my favorite low cal recipe book at the moment.

I took this bread with us camping with my husband’s family on New Year’s Eve to be another element to enjoy at breakfast. Our niece (4) and nephew (2) tried it, it’s not a sweet bread per say as the cranberries are rather tart. They took a polite bite or two, my nephew shuddered from the tartness and then handed their pieces back. The adults however enjoyed it.

It was perfect along with the beans. I adore fruit and pork dishes together and apparently cranberry and pork is no exception, absolutely fabulous flavor combination.

A side note: I used fresh cranberries and because they aren’t sold all year and I only used 1 cup from the bag I froze the rest to use later. To do that just spread them onto a cookie sheet in a single layer and freeze until hard. Then store them in a zip lock bag until you are ready to use them. (I already know what I am using them for. As always, coming soon.)


Cranberry Corn Bread
recipe from Betty Crocker Win at Weight Loss Cookbook, pg. 52

1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
¾ cup cornmeal
1/3 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
2 eggs, lightly beaten
¾ cup fat free milk
¼ cup canola oil
1 cup fresh cranberries
2 tablespoons sugar

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

Prepare a loaf pan with non-stick spray; set aside.

In a large bowl mix the flour, cornmeal, 1/3 cup sugar, baking powder and salt. Add the eggs, milk and oil; mix with a wooden spoon until combined.

In a small bowl, toss the cranberries and the 2 tablespoons sugar until coated. Fold into batter and spread into pan.
Bake 25-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

Serve warm.


Now, I just want to remind you that although it does look like sweet bread it honestly isn’t. Don’t let that deter you because it is phenomenal with a hot bowl of 3 Pigs in a Pot.

Enjoy,

2 comments:

  1. Your blog is full of wonderful sounding recipes. I'm drooling just looking through it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much! You're making me blush.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...