Thursday, January 20, 2011

Drunken Pork Chops

I have seen this recipe a few times now on various blogs and every time that I do see it I think “Hmm, I need to make that” but I never seem to. So last week when writing the shopping list I printed this off and added the ingredients to the list. It required a special trip to SPEC’s to get some Woodchuck Amber Cider (my favorite beer besides Heineken) but any reason to buy some Amber and I’m game.

Luckily the evening before I was planning on tossing it all in the crock pot on my way out the door I realized that it wasn’t a crock pot recipe. The horror! This wasn’t going to work for me, it was going to be a 10 hour work day and I was NOT coming home to cook an hour plus recipe after working that long. Easy enough fix, I just thought back to past crock pot recipes and attempted to pull this off…


Drunken Pork Chops
adapted from Siggy Spice

5-6 pork chops
salt and pepper, to taste
1 bottle of beer, amber cider
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup ketchup

1 tablespoon cornstarch
¼ cup water

Season the pork chops with salt and pepper on both sides and place into the bottom of the slow cooker.

In a bowl combine the beer, ketchup, and brown sugar, stirring to combine. Pour the sauce mixture over the top of the pork chops.

Cook on low heat for 7 hours.

Before serving thicken the sauce:

Remove the pork chops and set aside.

Combine the cornstarch and water stirring to combine. Slowly stir this mixture into the crock pot sauce, whisking to insure no lumps. Cook the sauce on high heat for about 30 minutes or until you’ve reached the desired thickness.

Put the pork chops back into the thickened sauce and flip to coat.

Serve this over mashed potatoes or rice.


Baby Cakes loved it. I loved the sauce but only liked the overall dish. After all that slow cooking the meat wasn’t very pretty, you know if you’re a visual eater like I am. Maybe a thicker pork chop or less cooking time. I am determed to work it out.

The ingredients are once again on the shopping list for next week. Any excuse to by Amber, right? Grin. I’m going to make it the way the original recipe calls for because I just know that this has the potential to be a killer meal.

See you soon,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...