Sunday, January 16, 2011

Fresh Pineapple Cherry Upside Down Cake

I needed a thank you gift fast. I had a pineapple sitting on the counter, cherries in the fridge and a cake mix in the pantry. I know just what to make.


We are currently replacing atheistic things around our house, outdoor lights being the most recent thing, and my Father in Law came over to help my husband get them done. This is not the first time my Father in Law has lent a hand and I am certain it won’t be the last; my husband’s parents are both so very giving of their time for all of us. Still I wanted to show my appreciation to him because sometimes a simple “thank you” isn’t quite enough. What better way than to bake something?

According to Baby Cakes, when he delivered it for us yesterday afternoon my Father in Law ate two slices right then and there saying that it was really good. Good. That’s what I like to hear.


Fresh Pineapple Cherry Upside Down Cake

Bottom:

1 ripe pineapple, peeled, cored and sliced into 8 rounds
18 fresh cherries, deseeded
2- ¼ cup butter, melted
2- 1/3 cup light brown sugar

Pour the one of the melted butters into the bottom of an 8 inch cake pan and add the brown sugar, mix to combine. It will be a bit thick so if need be spread evenly over the bottom of the pan.

Now set four pineapple rounds into the dish and place the cherries one in each open area.

Do the same with the other 8 inch cake round.

Set aside.

Cake:

1 box white cake mix
2 eggs, yolk and whites
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 1/3 cup pineapple nectar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract

Beat the above ingredients in a mixing bowl with a hand mixer until completely combined and lump free.

Divide the cake batter evenly between the two pans. Evenly spread the batter over the top of the pineapple, cherries and sugar mixture.

Bake according to the cake mix boxes directions. Let rest and cool a bit after baking and before serving turn out onto a cake plate.


Now I know that I have made an upside down pineapple cake before and that the recipe is actually very similar but try this one too. Infact, try this one above the other one. This is my new favorite version of this classic cake.

So good I had a slice for breakfast,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...