Monday, January 10, 2011

Scalloped Cabbage

We have leftover cabbage, not to mention the left over ham; I’m sorry, leftover hams, HAMS! So in honor of these leftovers I am running searches for recipes featuring them. I easily located tomorrow night’s recipe, coming ahem tomorrow, using up a majority of the ham, but I couldn’t as easily locate a new and improved cabbage recipe until…

Say hello to Newlyweds, an adorable blog featuring recipes, gardening and personal bites about her family especially her twin boys. Who, by the way, are adorable. Also, she’s a Texas girl! (grin). I must have bookmarked all of her recipes and I can’t wait to make some of them starting tonight. Oh and another thing, she is a heck of a blogger. She photographs the entire cooking process she is a better women than me!

Baked Cabbage was a wonderful way to use up the leftover head of cabbage; I cannot get over how amazing this dish is/was. The smell of it while cooking, the crispy bits of bacon, the creamy dreamy goodness of the sauce, I’ll call it a sauce. We ate the entire baking dish full. Not to worry it was only a small version of the recipe. Baby Cakes loved it (he gives it a bada** rating), I loved it. What’s not to love?


Scalloped Cabbage
recipe from Newlyweds

1 small head of cabbage, sliced
1/2 onion sliced
3 tablespoon cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon seasoning blend, your choice
2 cups heavy cream
4 dashes of hot pepper sauce
6-8 slices raw bacon, chopped

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Layer the cabbage into a buttered baking dish and top with onion slices.

Put the 3 tablespoons of cornstarch into a mixing bowl and measure in 4 tablespoons of heavy cream, using your finger or a spoon stir the mixture until the cornstarch is dissolved completely. Add the remaining cream slowly while whisking the cornstarch mixture. Whisk in the salt, pepper, hot sauce and seasoning blend. Pour over the cabbage and onions.

Top evenly with the raw chopped bacon.

Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 90 minutes. Uncovering the baking dish with 10 minutes left.

Stir before serving.



Simply a.maze.ing,

5 comments:

  1. Oh girl, I am so glad you made this and loved it. It still remains one of our family favorites, we always fight over the brown bits on the bottom, yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so yummy. Bacon always enhanced the taste of any dish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to try this one! Looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is amazing! The hands down best way to make cabbage. Wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just discovered your Facebook page and this blog. I have to try this recipe. It's very unusual and looks delicious! I plan to try several others that I see here too.

    I added myself to your Facebook fans a few minutes ago :-) I live near Huntington, West Virginia, and I make handmade soap. I hope you'll stop by my page sometime to say hello. I see that we definitely have one thing in common . . . spending a lot of happy time on the front porch swing with a book :-)

    My Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/TheEnchantedBath

    Linda

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...