Friday, September 30, 2011

Onion Soup Shrimp Casserole

This recipe is a creation of incredible hunger. I originally took the shrimp out of the freezer to make something else, something I’ve made before and often Ceasar Shrimp Pasta, but somehow the recipe below is what ended up being made. I can’t explain it. It just is.

I originally bought the havarti cheese for another recipe but while searching through the crisper this evening saw that it needed to be used post haste. I had never tried it before but I am a self-proclaimed cheese lover so I cut a sliver and low and behold it is really good, as far as cheeses go. It’s very mild and the consistency is soft and creamy. It slightly resembles the look of swiss but the flavor is a mozzarella. I dig it. I think I might even try it as a replacement in some other recipes.


Onion Soup Shrimp Casserole

4 cups farfalle pasta
1 lb. frozen shrimp, thawed and drained
1 cup frozen peas
1 can cream of celery soup
1 packet dry onion soup mix
1 cup milk
½ lb. havarti cheese
1 tablespoon salt
½ tablespoon black pepper

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Spray a casserole dish with nonstick spray. Set aside.

In a large saucepan cook the pasta according to package directions adding the shrimp and peas during the last 5 minutes of cooking. Drain. Set aside.

In the same saucepan combine the soup mix, celery soup and milk. Cook over low heat stirring regularly until steaming. Turn off heat and stir in all but 1 cup of the cheese.

Stir together the pasta mix and soup cheese mixture until well combined. Pour into baking dish and top with leftover, 1 cup, of cheese.

Bake uncovered for 35-45 minutes, until cheese is golden bubbly.


It really is very good. I can’t see it making its way to a gourmet restaurant or even a cooking show but I can see it making its way to a family dinner table.

XOXO,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...