Saturday, January 1, 2011

Semi-Homemade Black Eyed Peas

I can remember in the past on New Year’s Eve my Grandma making all the traditional southern new year staples, black eyed peas, cabbage, corn bread and I am sure some sort of protein, most likely something pork, and although the following recipes aren’t from my Grandma I do make them every year because of her. Since learning what these foods represent I can’t imagine not eating them on the eve of or the actual day, hopeful that they might actually pull through. Superstitious maybe but I’ve always heard that you make your own luck and mine just happens to be in a big old pot on the stove, or so I believe.

The first recipe I’ll be sharing this evening is something that I call my semi-homemade black-eyed peas. A couple of years ago, Baby Cakes and my first New Years together, I wanted to make the whole spread for him and went to the store in search of the needed ingredients, to make a long story short they were sold out and I ended up buying canned. I didn’t care and was dead set on making them the way I wanted to originally only with canned peas so I did and they were wonderful. Since then I have made them using frozen and fresh peas, salt pork, bacon and even ham bone but I keep coming back to this recipe. Don’t judge me just make this recipe and see for yourself.

Everyone who tried them last night at the party loved them, I got nonstop compliments and I might even add a challenge or dual rather for next year.


Semi-homemade Black Eyed Peas

1 package of bacon, sliced into 2 inch segments, browned and drained
½ of an onion, diced and cooked in the bacon drippings, drained
6 cans of black eyed peas, drained
2-3 tbs. of seasoning blend, your choice
1 tbs. of garlic powder

Once the bacon and onion are cooked and drained add them along with the rest of the ingredients to a Dutch Oven and cook over low heat for 1 or 2 hours.

You might need to and can add a bit of water as needed, ½ a cup at a time.

Like I said above this is an amazing recipe and although I have never seen anyone post an embellished canned good recipe I am taking a risk and doing it anyway.

Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...