Sunday, January 1, 2012

3 Pigs in a Pot

In the Bennett household we ring in the New Year in the traditional way, or we used to anyway. I have always cooked black-eyed peas, cabbage, a ham and cornbread, but this year we’re trying something a bit different. Namely, instead of using canned black-eyed peas (I know, I should be ashamed of myself) I am making them from their dried form using a ham hock leftover from Christmas courtesy of my Momma. And instead of making cabbage (although we will be having cabbage tomorrow via Stuffed Cabbage Casserole) I am making a variation on a yummy dip recipe I came across on the world wide web (coming soon). You know how I feel about dip right? Right.

So you might notice, once you read the recipe, that we have not one, not two, but three variations of pork going into this pot of beans. What do you think? Do you think it will up the good luck factor? I just think it might.


3 Pigs in a Pot
recipe from Megan Bennett

1 pound bag dried black eyed peas
3 tablespoons spice blend of your choice
1 ham hock
5 ½ cups water plus more as needed
1 medium onion, diced
1/2 red sweet pepper, diced
4 slices bacon, large diced
1 link of pork sausage, sliced into coins

Sort through the beans to clean out any rocks or debris and cover them with water; soak overnight.

The next day, drain the beans and rinse clean. Put them into a large pot along with the ham hock and seasonings and cover with 5 ½ cups of water. Bring them to a low boil, stir and reduce heat to low. Cover, and cook for around 2 hours, stirring often. If at any time the beans are not covered with water add more, enough to cover them again.

Towards the end of the 2 hour cooking time fry up the onion and peppers along with the bacon until the bacon is done. Put into a dish and set aside. In the same pan fry the sausage coins until done. Stir the bacon, sausage and onions into the beans along with the drippings if you so desire.

Continue cooking the beans for another hour on low heat, stirring often.

Carefully remove the ham hock and set on a plate. Once cool enough to touch or using forks shred the meat from the bone. Discard the skin and bone. Stir the ham back into the soup.

Serve hot along with some cornbread and hot pepper sauce.


This was the best bowl of beans I have ever eaten hands down. Baby Cakes and I both mmmm'd our way through it. The only thing I would/will do differently next time is maybe add another half bag of beans to the recipe. Other than there being more meat than bean, this recipe is amazing.

P.S. In the last post I said that I would be sharing all the nutritional information along with all the recipes I share on here from now on. Well, I have decided not to. It is hard enough to count calories, type up posts and blog, so although I thought I might I have decided not to add another layer of complications to things. I love blogging, but I do not love dieting. I refuse to mix the two. XOXO.

Happy New Year,

1 comment:

  1. This dish sounds like something I'd love! I'll be trying it soon.

    I just posted about our traditional New Year's Day meal on my new blog. Stop by if you get a chance.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...