Sunday, March 20, 2011

Drunken Pork Chops

You might notice that this is my second time posting this recipe and if not then this is where you can find the original post. Either way, whether you notice or not, the first time I made this I attempted to make it a slow cooker recipe and all it resulted in was a really thin sauced pulled pork dish, it was good enough but who wants just edible or good enough for dinner? Not me. I knew that there had to be something to this because I have seen it reposted so many times in the food blog world. I was determined and boy am I glad that I was.

This version is wonderful; flavorful and slightly sweet. The pork chops are tender and the sauce could stand up to any other sauce/gravy I have ever had. Baby Cakes didn’t re-season even a bite and I don’t think I took a breath even between bites. Yum-Oh. I do believe I found my next companies coming for dinner recipe. It’s that good.

I will never again try to adapt this to a slow-cooker recipe, not after trying it the original way. That was just insulting.


Drunken Pork Chops
recipe from Newlyweds

5-6 pork chops
salt and pepper, to taste
1 bottle of beer, amber cider
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup ketchup
extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon cornstarch
¼ cup water

Measure the extra virgin olive oil into skillet over medium high heat.

Season the pork chops with salt and pepper on both sides and cook until brown on both sides.

While the pork chops are browning, combine the beer, ketchup, and brown sugar in a bowl. Pour the sauce mixture over the pork chops and simmer for 40-45 minutes.
Remove the pork chops and set aside for a moment.

To thicken the sauce, combine the cornstarch and water stirring to combine. Slowly stir this mixture into the boiling sauce, whisking out any lumps. Simmer until you’ve reached the desired thickness.

Put the pork chops back into the thickened sauce and flip to coat.
Serve this over mashed potatoes or rice.


I had seconds. There were no leftovers. We are pigs. We are pigs eating pig. How could I help myself, make it, try it, you’ll see. Then you’ll understand.

Oink, oink,

2 comments:

  1. Yummm!! Welcome back!!! I didn't do much blogging last month(ish) either I think it was a crazy month!!!! I cant wait to try that pork. I am a fan of anything with a sauce!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...