Monday, May 16, 2011

Strawberry Pear Salad

Growing up my Grandma Lolly would make a simple pear dessert for us when we were staying with her. It consisted of canned pears, whipped cream and a maraschino cherry. I was a light and yummy dessert after a home cooked meal prepared lovingly by her. Something about this recipe always appealed to me and I find myself on summer days wanting to eat some of the ice cold pears and creamy whipped cream; not to mention the cherry. While my siblings were arguing over who would get to drink the cold syrup that pears were canned in I would be sneaking cherries out of their bright red syrup. Youth, where did the time go?

As an adult and with the responsibilities of planning and cooking for my own husband (perhaps someday my family) I find myself coming back to the recipes I was raised on time and time again. No matter how simple or different they may be. And every once in a while I like to revisit them and make them a bit more mine. With the current weather, HELLlllOooooooooO SUMMER (think Good Morning Vietnam), I am aching or would that be melting for cool dishes. This hits the spot.

The best part about it is that it is a make ahead of time kind of dish. It would be great for guests or a simple late night snack. My grandma served it along with dinner as side dish. But I tend to serve it afterwards because I beleive it derserves to be in the spotlight. I know it seems so simple, the thought actually crossed my mind to not even blog it, but it is a recipe that makes me think of my Grandma and one that I thought of and think of fondly still. That and this is my blog so Na-na-nana-na.


Strawberry Pear Salad
minimally adapted from Grandma Lolly’s recipe

serves 2 adults

1 regular can of halved pears, drained
6-8 strawberries, rinsed, cored and sliced
whipped cream, about 2-4 tablespoons
maraschino cherries, amount up to you

In the bowl you will use to serve the salad place two halves of pear. Top with half of the strawberries, a dollop of whipped cream and a cherry.

Place the bowls into the refrigerator and chill until ready to serve.

This recipe is sneaky. It will hit you out of nowhere on a sweltering day and before you know it you’ll be craving a bite of an ice cold pear.

Don't judge me (wink),

4 comments:

  1. Totally not judging. At my house growing up, standard fare was home canned spiced pears with cottage cheese and cinnamon on top. I still totally crave that.
    Btw, can yall share some of your sunshine?? ;) I will share my rain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, I would pay for some rain. All I'm paying for now is the hose I use to water the garden and fruit trees. Ugh! Yes please. Send some rain my way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like dishes such as this one. Easy on the cook and the palate. I always enjoy my visits here. You've created a lovely spot for your readers to visit and I'm never disappointed when I stop by. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Mary! I love that you enjoy it and I love that you stopped to let me know.

    Please keep coming back.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...