Monday, May 3, 2010

Butter Bean and Spicy Sausage Soup with Spinach


I had a mishap on Saturday and it was terrible, really really sucked for a lack of better words. I created and baked a new recipe for a cake (which I will be making again and eventually blogging but not right now obviously!) and while taking it from fridge to car dropped it. It is all slow motion to me now and it was terrible. Humph. It sucked you guys.

Anyhow, the entire weekend wasn't a wash when it came to cooking/baking. Yesterday was wonderful. Now I know it really isn't the weather for soup but I found this recipe hanging out in my recipe box and knew I had to make it using some spicy venison sausage. Unfortunatly there is nothing to help me decifer who it came from or when so just know I didn't make this recipe up. I did however adapt it to my liking.

This soup is so good. After every bite I let out an Mmmmmm, BCakes was working on something in the house and was laughing while saying "it must be good cause I can hear you eating it". Har har buddy, har har. We saw a few minutes later who was laughing because he couldn't keep quite while slurpping it down either.

Next time some kind of crusty buttery bread to dip but honestly it wasn't missed this time around. You have to make this soup and for those who are not into spicy just use regular italian breakfast sausage. Nom nom nom.


Butter Bean and Spicy Sausage Soup with Spinach

1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 lbs. spicy breakfast sausage
4 cloves of garlic, minced
2 teaspoons italian seasoning
3 cans butter beans, 2 cans drained and rinsed, 1 whole can
2 cups water
4 cups chicken stock
1/4-1/2 cup fresh grated parmesan cheese
2.5 cups rotini pasta
2-3 cups fresh spinach leaves, for later
salt and pepper to taste
2-4 cups chicken stock, might be needed later

In soup pot, over medium heat, brown the sausage with the olive oil.

Once the sausage is browned add the garlic and italian seasoning and cook until you can smell the garlic or lightly browned.

Next add in the beans, water, cheese and chicken stock and bring to a boil.

Add the pasta and boil per package directions, about 10-12 minutes. Stirring every once in awhile.

Now add the spinach and stir until wilted. Season with salt and pepper to taste.


If you are ready to serve do so now or turn the heat off, put a lid on it and let it sit for a bit. That's what the extra broth is for, the pasta just keeps drinking up the liquid so you can add more as you see fit. It is a soup after all.

Seriuosly make this soup. I am making it again next week. For real.

I lovenly shared this recipe over at Recipe Swap Thursday on Prairie Story.

See you next time,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...